These brilliant “very berry” porridge recipe is fast, packed with nutrients, vitamin C and powerful anti-ageing properties. Great for breakfast or a snack – kids love it as well so give it a go!
You can quickly put this together the night before and have a ready to go breakfast in the morning!
- 1 cup mix berries
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup water with 1 teaspoon cornflour (corn maize starch)
- 2 tablespoons honey or other sweetener (up to taste)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Oats
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1 orange
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon honey
- zest of half orange
- Place the berries, ½ cup of water and lemon juice in a small saucepan and bring to medium heat.
- Once bubbling, reduce heat slightly and use a wooden spoon to mash the fruits.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes, occasionally mashing fruit to combine.
- When ready, add the corn flour dissolved in ¼ cup water and stir well for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly and add the honey and vanilla and transfer to a clean jar or container to cool thoroughly.
- Store in the fridge.
- Put water and juice to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Once boiled add your oats and reduce heat to low.
- Continue cooking until the oats have absorbed most of the water about 3-5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Once your oats are done remove from heat and add the zest, honey and vanilla, stir to combine. If you want it thinner, add a splash of water or a non-dairy milk (such as almond).
- Serve in small pots or jars as follows: first some porridge, after some berries jam, then porridge and again jam, garnish with a few nuts, berries and dried coconut.
- Enjoy immediately or do it the night before, cover it with clean film and enjoy it in the morning.