Louvana is a traditional Cypriot soup, It’s a delicious, nutritious, vegan and very easy to make. ‘Louvana’ are small, yellow split peas high in protein and low in fat. Great soup especially when is very cold! Give it a go!
- 3 white onions (2 cups, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + 4-5 tablespoons for garnish
- 1 cup Louvana (yellow Split Pea)
- ¼ cup brown rice (or any other rice)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock
- Salt, Pepper
- ½ cup black olives
- 1 lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 10-14 cherry tomatoes
- Some rocket leaves
- To a large saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil, onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 3 liters of hot water, yellow Split Pea, red lentils, onion powder, brown rice, vegetable stock, season with a little salt and pepper and cover to simmer for 35-40 minutes, or until yellow Split Pea are soft and ready.
- Use an immersion blender, or transfer soup to a blender, and purée until creamy and smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding, salt, pepper or onion powder as preferred.
- Serve with black olives, lemon juice (as needed), cherry tomatoes, rocket leaves and drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil.