Vegan unicorn cake
4 Colour cashew cream frosting
- 600g cashews soaked for at least 3 hours
- 8 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tins coconut milk (chilled overnight in the refrigerator)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 8 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8-10 tablespoons honey or agave syrup, to taste
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons matcha
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons beetroot powder
- 2 cups shredded dry coconut
- 4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 ½ cups coconut sugar
- 4 teaspoons bicarbonate soda
- 4 cups of water
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups olive oil
4 Colour Cashew cream frosting
- Chill your coconut cream or coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight, being sure not to shake the can to ease separation of the cream and liquid.
- Remove the coconut milk or cream from the fridge, remove the lid.
- Scrape out the top, thickened cream and leave the liquid behind (reserve it in the fridge for smoothies or cooking rice etc).
- Pour all ingredients for the cashew cream in a blender and blend scraping down the sides as needed until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy.
- Divide the mixture into 4 bowls.
- In the first bowl add 1 teaspoon matcha and blend well. In the second ball add ¼ teaspoon turmeric and blend well. In last one add beetroot powder and blend well.
- Refrigerate until the cake cools down.
- Preheat the oven in 180°C. Lightly grease four 18 cm round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl mix all the wet ingredients. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk with until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into the 4 round cake pans, bake for 30 min at 180°C, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let it cool down completely.
- On serving plate, place the first cake layer. Spread with the green cashew cream frosting to within ¼ inch of edge. Repeat with yellow and pink. Add the final cake layer, spread a coat of white frosting on top.
- Garnish the top of the cake with flowers.