Tzatziki is one of my favorite dips. This is a vegan version of the traditional tzatziki recipe, it tastes like the original, the flavor is very similar. With sunflower seeds and cashews, rich in Vitamin E, copper, B Vitamins, zinc, antioxidants, a healthy source of essential fatty acids, protein and more.
If you want a perfect tzatziki you need to drain very well the cucumber and let the tzatziki stand for at least three hours in the refrigerator for more intense flavor.
It is ideal as a dressing for salads, falafel, soutzoukakia, pasta, stuffed grape leaves (koupepia) or as dipping sauce for veggies!
You can eat tzatziki with almost anything! Hope you enjoy the recipe!
- ½ cup sunflower seeds soaked for 3 hours
- ½ cup cashews soaked for 3 hours
- ½ cup water
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons dried mint
- Pepper, salt (up to taste)
- Juice of 1½ lemon
- 2 mini pickle cucumbers
- 1 cucumber roughly grated and drained
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil + extra for garnish
- Drain sunflower seeds, cashews and place them in a blender with the water, garlic dried mint, salt, pepper, lemon juice, pickle cucumbers, olive oil and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust flavor adding more lemon juice, salt or pepper.
- Add grated cucumbers and stir. Let it stand for at least 2-3 hours in the fridge. Serve cold with pita bread, salads, falafel, pasta, soutzoukakia, stuffed grape leaves (koupepia) or as dipping sauce for veggies!