One pot orzo with tomato sauce & calamari
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 400g chopped tomatoes in tin
- ½ cup basil leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon carob syrup or agave + ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 250g medium whole wheat orzo
- 1kg calamari rings ( 500gr chopped in 3 cm pieces and 500gr in rings)
- Salt pepper
- 2 cups hot water
- 2-3 tablespoons basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large cooking pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute stirring with a wooden spoon. Add the chopped tomatoes from the tin and stir. Add half of the chopped basil, vinegar, carob, honey, onion powder & stir.
- Add calamari pieces and rings, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in the orzo and cook for a minute, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the hot water little by little stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. The orzo will absorb it quickly. It takes about 15 minutes for the orzo to cook this way and become al dente. Not too soft when you bite it. Add the rest of the chopped basil leaves.
- So, once you have stirred in all the water and the orzo has cooked to al dente, take the pot off the heat and let stand for a few minutes. The more orzo sits the more it absorbs the sauce so don't worry if the sauce doesn't look as thick. It will get there even if it's removed from the heat.
- Serve orzo with plenty of freshly ground pepper, drizzle with olive oil on top with basil leaves.
(Visited 544 times, 2 visits today)