Cranberry vegan cheese
- 1 cup (160 g) cashews
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 5-6 tablespoons lemon juice, up to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons clementine juice or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard, readymade any kind
- ½ teaspoon agar powder or 1 teaspoon agar flakes (helps the cheese to set)
- 30 ml water
- 2-3 tablespoons cranberries, roughly chopped
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to soak overnight.
- When ready, drain cashews and add to a food processor. Add cranberries, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, clementine juice, mustard, nutritional yeast, olive oil pepper and salt.
- Process until the mixture becomes very creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Add 30 ml water and agar powder or flakes in a small saucepan. With a spoon whisk the mixture together and bring it to boil on medium-high heat, being careful not to let the liquid to be over boiled.
- When the agar powder or flakes are dissolved, pour immediately the mixture in the food processor with the cheese and process for a minute scraping down the sides.
- Put a clean film in a 5cm to 8cm round flat pot. With a spatula scoop all ‘cheese’ into the pot. Close with clean film and refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours.
- TO SERVE: Unwrap the round ‘cheese’ and coat it with the chopped cranberries, evenly pressing them into the ‘cheese’. Do this just before serving.
- Enjoy chilled with crackers, vegetables, fresh and dried fruits.
(Visited 261 times, 1 visits today)