Basil vegan cheese
- 1 cup (160 g) cashews
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 6-7 tablespoons lemon juice, up to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon agar powder or 1 teaspoon agar flakes (helps the cheese to set)
- 30 ml water
- Salt and pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons poppy-seeds
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to soak overnight.
- When ready, drain cashews and add to food processor. Add basil, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, olive oil pepper and salt.
- Process until the mixture becomes very creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Add 30 ml water and agar powder or flakes in a small saucepan. With a spoon whisk the mixture together and bring it to boil on medium-high heat, being careful not to let the liquid to be over boiled.
- When the agar powder or flakes are dissolved, pour immediately the mixture in the food processor with the ‘cheese’ and process for a minute scraping down the sides.
- With a spatula scoop all ‘cheese’ onto baking paper and roll it to make a log. Twist the sides (like a candy) and refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours.
- TO SERVE: Spread the poppy seeds onto a work surface. Unwrap the ‘cheese’ log and roll it in the poppy-seeds evenly pressing them into the ‘cheese’. Do this just before serving.
- Enjoy chilled with crackers, vegetables, fresh and dried fruits.
(Visited 175 times, 1 visits today)